Invisalign in Spruce Grove has revolutionized orthodontics by offering patients a comfortable and convenient alternative to traditional metal braces for misaligned teeth. Invisalign uses custom aligner trays that are almost invisible, making them much more discreet than traditional metal braces. At Blossom Family Dental Care, our dentist in Spruce Grove is happy to provide all the information you need about Invisalign and committing to your aligners before ordering your first set of trays.
Why Wearing Your Aligners for 22 Hours a Day Matters
Invisalign trays gently and carefully move teeth into the optimal position through small movements. These small movements are spread out over many months so patients feel the least discomfort possible throughout their treatment. This process works because each set of trays is slightly straighter than the last. The aligning trays are only effective when they are in contact with the teeth. This is why our dentist recommends keeping your trays in for at least 22 hours a day. Failure to keep your aligners in for 22 hours a day can result in discomfort and delayed results. Invisalign near you creates these trays assuming wearers will comply with this advice.
What Might Happen If I Don’t Wear My Aligners for the Recommended Time?
Failing to wear your trays for the recommended 22 hours a day can result in complications that may be challenging to correct and result in more visits to our dental clinic in Spruce Grove. Some complications include:
● Discomfort: the first couple of days after placing a new set of aligners are essential. You will notice pressure against certain teeth. While this pressure can result in minor discomfort, you must keep your trays in for at least 22 hours daily. You may remove your aligners to drink or eat; however, your teeth may return to their previous positions when you remove the trays for longer. This is usually not noticeable to the naked eye, but you will feel more discomfort or pain when you put your trays back in after a long break. To avoid this discomfort, follow the 22-hour Rule.
● Delayed results: in the short term, not wearing your aligners for the recommended time can result in discomfort. However, in the long term, you may not reach your smile goals by the target date. When you receive your first set of aligning trays, our dentist will tell you your treatment plan timeline will be- typically be 12-18 months. You must visit Blossom Family Dental Care regularly for checkups so our dentist can monitor your progress. If your teeth are not moving on schedule due to failure to comply with the 22-hour Rule, you may be asked to wear your current trays for longer. If your teeth have fallen too far behind schedule, you may also need to repeat some treatments, greatly prolonging your overall treatment time.
Tips for Following the 22-Hour Rule
The best thing you can do for your oral health complies with the 22-hour Rule. Some tips you can keep in mind to do this are:
● Report damaged or missing aligners to our dentist as soon as possible
● Place your new aligners before bed so that the majority of your discomfort will occur while you are asleep
● Be aware that there will be some periods of soreness and discomfort
● Use a mouthguard tray to hold your aligners when they are not in use
If you want to learn more about Invisalign, don’t hesitate to contact our Blossom Family Dental Care team for a consultation.